Festive drinks and the morning after – where to find them in Cambridge
I thought I would never get into the Christmas mood this year with temperatures more like the Southern hemisphere. White Christmas’ seem to be something of the past. I’ve always loved the festive season, but when I was living in Cape Town I found it really difficult to get into the seasonal spirit. Temperatures over there are close to 28C that time of the year and instead of snuggling up around a roaring fire in the comfort of your home, we would gather around the braai outside.
With moving to the countryside of Saffron Walden in 2002, this all changed. Snow would arrive quite early in the season, sometimes as early as November. It is hard to believe, but I remember, that we would always get snowed in around the 8th of that month. A good excuse to get the mulled wine and mince pies going and to meet up with the local villagers in the pub after long country walks.
Christmas in Cambridge is ‘wearing a new jacket’ this year! Have you seen the stunning lights in the city centre? Instead of the traditional Christmas tree, there is now a walk-through illuminated tree, and the Guildhall and many of the trees around the city will also be picked out with glittering strands and golden uplighters. The new illuminations will also include enhanced schemes on Green Street, Bridge Street and Magdalene Bridge.
This exciting lighting scheme has to be celebrated! So here is where I would be heading off to for a festive drink, and of course not to forget the morning after partying to refuel…
Swanky cocktails in Cambridge
- The University Arms for posh notch
- Novi Cambridge for fantastic botanical cocktails
- 196 Bar – go dirty for a dirty Martini
- The Gonville Hotel, great for live jazz music
- Six Cambridge for the amazing views
- SmokeWorks – stop by for happy hour and for sharing boards (vegan options available)
- The Gin Lab – The Green Street Gin is only available here
The best place for mulled wine in Cambridge
- Old Ticket Office – Mulled wine
- Foy Cafe – Mulled wine
- The Royal Standard – Mulled apple juice and mulled cider
- The Pintshop – Mulled Sloe Gin
The morning after drinks in Cambridge
- The Petersfield – Great Bloody Mary and Bottomless Brunch
- The Free Press Pub – Bloody Mary with homemade horseradish vodka and pub grub
- Novi Cambridge – If you need a caffeine fix try the Espresso Martini