Four common Christmas dangers for dogs

Foods your dog should never eat

Christmas is a busy time of year and as well as treating ourselves, we also like to treat our dogs.

However, even you want to spoil them, not all Christmas goodies are safe for our four-legged friends. 

Here’s a guide to all the things we love that are not suitable for dogs:

  1. Alcohol

Ever been tempted to let your dog take a sip of your alcoholic drink? This can be dangerous for dogs, especially spirits which have a higher percentage of alcohol. Alcohol can cause a range of symptoms such as drowsiness, lack of coordination or incontinence as quickly as 15 to 30 minutes after ingestion, especially if your dog has an empty stomach. It can also be fatal so alcohol is best avoided altogether as far as your pet is concerned.

Advertisement

  1. Chocolate & sweets

All families have the problem of the chocolates know body likes left at the bottom of the tin. Chocolate is toxic for dogs and sugar free sweets that contain the sweetener Xylitol are particularly unsuitable for dogs. Chocolate contains the chemical Theobromine which is the part of chocolate that’s toxic to dogs. If ingested, symptoms can take up to 24 hours to present themselves and can be fatal. 

  1. Coffee

A lot of people need their caffeinated boost but our furry companions don’t. Advice varies whoever you speak to in regards to how many milligrams a dog can drink. Factors such as the size of the dog verses the strength of coffee need to be considered so it’s best not to take the risk. If your dog has drunk a large amount of coffee or has found his way into a bag of caffeinated beans, symptoms could include; shaking, vomiting and a racing heart.

  1. Grapes/raisins

Often found in festive fruit and nut mixes, grapes and raisins are particularly toxic for dogs. It’s not known why they’re toxic for dogs, but symptoms from ingestion, if they show any, can come on within a matter of hours. These range from lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea and can often cause a coma. Your vet will need to induce vomiting if they have been ingested. No mince pies for the pooch! 

If your dog ingests any of the above, please contact your vet immediately for advice, giving them the time of ingestion, quantity if known and any symptoms.  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.